Pineapples are botanically classified as (Ananas comosus), the pineapple is a tropical plant with an edible multiple fruit consisting of coalesced berries. Pineapples are perennial herbaceous plants that have a short and stocky stem.
Their leaves are spiny and covered with wax on the surface. One plant produces only one pineapple per season. Pineapple is a good source of dietary fiber and vitamin C, as well as some iron and calcium.
- FLAVOR: Vibrant tropical flavor that balances the tastes of sweet and tart.
- TEXTURE: The area closer to the base of the fruit has more sugar content and therefore a sweeter taste and more tender texture.
- COLOR: A scaly green, brown or yellow skin and a regal crown of spiny, blue-green leaves and fibrous yellow flesh.
- SHAPE: Pineapples have a wide cylindrical shape
- WEIGHT: 400-1,000 gr
- RIPENING CLUES: Sapodillas should be allowed to ripen at room temperature and are ready to eat when firm with a slight give to them. Squeeze gently to feel the texture for the ripeness.